Pakistan grows more than 35 varieties of vegetables in different climatic zones¹. Some of the major vegetables grown in Pakistan include tomato, carrot, garlic, bitter gourd, and cauliflower¹. Some of the vegetables that are of interest for their unique properties or popularity are:
- Kinnow: A hybrid citrus fruit that is sweet and sour, rich in vitamin C and has low seed and seedless variants².
- Dhania (Coriander): A herb that is widely used in Pakistani cuisine for its flavor and aroma².
- Turmeric: A spice that has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and is used to make the yellow curry powder².
- Sweet Potato: A root vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamin A and potassium, and can be eaten boiled, baked or fried².
- Mustard: A leafy vegetable that is also used to make the mustard oil and sauce, and has a pungent taste and smell².